I woke up this morning, having dreamed a nice long dream last night about Thanksgiving, and found myself grinning. "Ooookay, this is weird." I'm seriously excited, though! A week and a half, people!
Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year (yes, it even wins out over Christmas Day and my birthday). I always get this excited for it when its only a few weeks ago. So maybe that will tone down the excitement for Christmas that I'm also in possession of, hehe.
Thanksgiving for the past two years have been completely different from any of the previous ones. For years upon years it was just my whole family gathering together to spend the day eating, laughing, playing games, watching movies, and frolicking in the first snow of the year (which almost *always* comes on Thanksgiving Day itself). That's how things used to be.
Then in 2006 we had the Plazas over for Thanksgiving. That was very different, but a complete BLAST. We taught them how to play Dutch Blitz (which Michael renamed Blitzkrieg), and Dad read aloud a Thanksgiving story by Louisa May Alcott (which was really good, by the way), and then us kids had a major snowball fight outside. It was awesome.
Last year's Thanksgiving was different because both Kate and Emily were gone. They went to have Thanksgiving with their fiance's families, so it was really weird to not have them here with us. It wasn't as fun as it used to be.
And this year will also be different because by now all of my sisters are married. Jesse and Kate are going once again to Jesse's family for Thanksgiving, and Luke and Liz are going with his family to his grandparents house in Oregon. Aaron and Emily and Henry are coming over, though, so I'm happy about that. We're also having Jeff over for Thanksgiving, since he'll still be in town. And maybe Jay and my aunt and uncle and Lyss and Kent will come over too. I'm not sure whether extended family will be coming too. So this will be a fun year. I can tell.
Another tradition is to make a TON of pies. Since there are so many of us in my family, everyone likes a different kind! So us girls all claim one or two pies to make, and by the end of it, there are almost ten different kinds, with doubles on pumpkin and huckleberry and apple, since those are so popular. And we like to have leftovers for breakfast Friday morning, so yeah, we make a lot. I had fun exchanging emails with Jeff this morning to find out his favorite kind of pie. It turns out he likes one of my grandfather and father's favorite kinds, so there will definitely be enough.
I'm pretty sure that I'll be making the cherry and apple pies, and I might be making the rolls or dressing too. I'm not sure yet. We always decide who makes what after "pizza night" on the Friday before Thanksgiving. Grandma asks for a piece of paper and a pencil, and Dad and Grandad start listing off the things they want (its always the same, haha). Then we women say "I'll make thus-and-such" of the food, and the guys are always responsible for setting the table and making the punch and the other things like that which don't require feminine expertise, shall we say.
Well, all that to say that Thanksgiving really is a big thing for my family. We all love it and take part in it somehow. It really is a family day. And I can't wait for it! I'll be working every day during Thanksgiving break (except Thanksgiving Day, thank goodness), so it will be wonderful to have a day to just be home and with my family.
Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!
No comments:
Post a Comment