Sunday, November 09, 2008

Swirls of Smoke

I got my bridesmaid dress for Noble's wedding today!!! Well, okay, I ordered it. I don't have it yet. But soon, soon the beautiful blue-gray dress shall be mine!

And since I had to go up to Spokane to buy it, I made it back home just in time to change for work, grab some hot chocolate, and head into town.

The moment I walked into the kitchen, it seemed like everyone started yelling my name. I whirled around and was like "What??? What's wrong? What'd I do??" Well, it turned out that there was no one working the pantry line for the earlier shift, so the servers had been making their own salads for the past five hours. Saved by Faith! (Robert actually said that to me, since he's one of the few who know/call me by my real name) When I saw the pantry counter, I understood their joy at my presence. The station was a MESS!! Everything was in everything else, there was salad dressing spilt all down the front of the counter, won tons and tortilla chips on the floor all around, no dishes to be found anywhere nearby, .... it was sad. No one wanted to take responsibility for the pantry line since no one had been assigned to it, but that only made it hard for them to do anything there.

It took me twenty minutes, but I eventually had it all sorted out. Jerry came over and congratulated me on it once I'd finished. It really is kinda cool to see how important the pantry worker is to the smooth running of the entire restaurant. I felt needed, and that is pretty cool, hehe.

On the door to the office is posted the schedule for Thanksgiving break. We're all supposed to write in our names for the shifts we want, and it was really empty when I got there, so I was able to get in as many days as I wanted! I'm working almost every day (we're closed Thanksgiving Day), and looks like if they don't get anyone to cover Saturday morning's shift, I might take it, thus working a double that day. Thus far I despise working doubles, but it does pay reeeeally well. Its worth it, so I might do it.

Also, Theresa and I figured out that we both want each others jobs, haha. She works the pantry on Saturday afternoons(except for today, apparently), and then when I get there, she takes up a busser shift, and I work the pantry. Well, I like making salads, and being on the BOH team, but I also really like being a busser! I prefer it actually. I like working with the customers, and trying to make them happy. I like having that responsibility. Well, Theresa prefers being on the BOH team rather than the FOH team. She thinks being a busser is boring compared to working the pantry line. So we're thinking of switching positions on Saturday nights. That would be sweet!

Not much happened tonight. The usual hilarity was present over the seven hours I was there, and twice I laughed so hard at Devan that I pretty much ended up on the floor, clinging to the counter above me. Brian wasn't there due to being sick, so I didn't have anyone to go around saying "Gwapo!" to. Kristin was back, though! She's been out for almost two weeks, since she was so sick. So we partied by eating mistake chicken and drinking Pepsi together.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Tonight was also THE BUSIEST I'VE EVER BEEN. We got two parties of twenty people in, and they ALL WANTED SALADS!!!!!!!! And they ordered them right when I ran out of tomatoes and olives and red onion. AND I also was out of side dishes, and the dish pit didn't have any either. AND about ten people wanted sides, and the other ten wanted RIVERWALKS!!!

I basically freaked out. But my co-workers have me figured out. When about everyone else get overwhelmed, they vocalise it, and show obvious frustration or despair or whatever. But I get really quiet when I'm overwhelmed, and I'm almost never not laughing, so its really obvious when something is wrong with Addie.

Anyhow, fortunately for me Trever and Theresa saw me about to go into hysterics and came to my rescue. Have you ever tried making twenty salads at once? And ten of them being Riverwalks?? Even with three people, its not easy by a LONG shot. And I wasn't the only one freaking out. These two parties of twenty people had the entire kitchen in an uproar. The sando line had a TON of chicken to make (and most of it was for the salads), while the pasta line was backed up for about seven minutes(which is really unusual. Normally none of the lines are backed up for more than a minute). And the pizza line... they were backed up ten minutes, even though they had all three ovens packed and running. I've never seen Tenador so antsy before. And the dish pit was struggling to turn out enough dishes for us. It was quite an adventure. But we did it! Fifteen minutes later, Robert and Casey and Patrick took the last three trays of food out of the kitchen, and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

But then came in group-of-twenty numero dos! And then the whole thing started over again. That was an interesting hour, heh.

It was an interesting night over all, actually. Very busy, very fun, and I got to meet Devan's aunt and uncle, and I saw my big brother Jesse, and sang my heart out. Tonight I got Before I Do (from Oklahoma) stuck in my head. So I sang that over and over, and got lots of smiles from my co workers. Also running through my head was Chasing Pavements (by Adele) and How I Could Just Kill A Man (by Charlotte Sometimes. Its not as weird as you'd think from the title!!), so I twittered out a few verses from those as well. Mostly it was just Before I Do, though. I love how the notes sort of flip around. Its so fun to sing. :D

My feet are in a lot of pain, though. I think my shoes are slowly killing them over time. Especially my right foot. I was glad I wasn't working last night, or I would have started limping. But for now I'll just take it as a sign that I'm working hard, if my feet hurt. If I wasn't working hard, my feet would just be numb from standing around. So yeah, its a good thing, I suppose. Hopefully I'll be better for church tomorrow, though.

Cheers!

No comments: