Sunday, November 23, 2008

November 22

Cheery red tomatoes cover the metal surfaces
Reflecting plastic spread over everything.
Romain dominates the dull pans,
With icebergs poking up here and there.

Cream white feta and brown-black olives
purple onions and bright bits of carrot.
Caesar takes over the Ranch
And the Thousand Island makes room for Blue Cheese.

Oval plates stacked below
With round bowls to the left and down.
Silver spoons stand ready to assist
While the black ordering machine smirks at me.

Kristin bounces
Jake pounces
Jamie flounces
And Michael ... twitches.

The servers attempt to wake up
Bring me your orders; I'll get you good tips.
Drink some coffee, you'll make it through.
Its time to rock and roll!

Devan dances
Peter laughs
Tenadore stomps
And Michael (the other one) sings.

The kitchen staff is wide awake
Except for me, apparently
There go the noodles, oh goodness sake.
Paul is going to kill me.

The clock ticks the morning away
And before I have time to complain
Robert tells me the time of day.
"Take a break, Addie".

An hour in my garden
The cars pass below.
Call my brothers
At home throwing things at each other.

Three thirty, time to get back now.
Back to work, making Caesars for Casey.
Singing Christmas songs not caring who hears.
Devan tries to out sing me and fails.

Curtis walks in, so it must be four.
Restock my line before the dinner rush
Don't knock over the noodles again
And wish Curtis merry Christmas.

"I'll trade you chicken for cilantro?"
"Deal, if you throw in some flat bread too."
Make the trade across the counter
And pass around Smarties for good measure.

Patrick tries to take over my job.
"Nothing doing, Billy Buddy."
Thats right, go away laughing.
Try again in an hour.

A birthday song for the birthday girl
And extra chocolate syrup for her!
Try to sing on pitch this time, people.
... we'll need to keep working on that.

I'm out of feta again?
Back to the walk-in to restock that up.
Devan and Ashley are already in there.
Party in the freezer!

"Frosty the snowman is a fairy tale they say
He was made of snow but the children know
How he came to life one day!"
... Devan is singing off pitch on purpose.

Ashley and I escape from the cold
Laughing at his eccentricities
And leave him to sing on his own
His voice trailing after us from the freezer.

Back at my station, what's this note and mug?
For Addie. Careful, its hot.
Robert made me hot chocolate?
I love my boss!

My ticket machine buzzes to life
And a Riverwalk demands its existence
"Cilantro for chicken and flat bread again?"
Curtis agrees and we make a quick trade.

Ten seconds for a Caesar
Twenty for a House.
A minute and thirty for a Sesame
And five minutes for a Chx Caesar or Riverwalk.

Time it right, Faith, think it through.
Chicken takes time to cook
Does the chx Caesar come with flat bread?
Quick! Run it through the oven!

The clock says its Eight now
Things are slow.
"Restock your line, Addie, and you'll get off early."
I perk up considerably at that.

Refilling tomatoes and olives
Bring out more bags of lettuce.
Chat with Curtis and Kristin
Almost done, almost done.

A Riverwalk now??
You've got to be kidding.
"Hey Curtis! ... never mind."
I change my mind.

I want to learn how to make it, I have time.
Where is the chicken kept?
And how long does it cook?
What about the flat bread?

So many questions, but its worth it.
I can make it myself now, if they're too busy to.
Finish the Riverwalk, grab my coat
Clock out.

Freedom.

No comments: