Sunday, November 02, 2008

Smoke in My Eyes

So last night I got to work my awesome shift. It was the long shift, but by the end of it, it didn't feel like it had been that bad. At the time, I felt like I was going to drown in salad orders, with an order for chocolate cake right at the very top of the pile, but once I was out of the ocean, it wasn't that bad!

I clocked in five minutes early as usual, and wouldn't you know it? The first ticket I got was for a Riverwalk. I laughed so hard at that. Thank goodness the orders weren't coming in steady stream yet, so I did have time to focus on the Riverwalk.

What really got me, though, was the stupid pop machine!!! For the past two weeks its been doing something really weird with the Cherry Pepsi line. For some reason the pipeline for the Cherry Pepsi is leaking, and of course its leaking right behind my counters. So by 6:30 I've got a nice little puddle making its way under the desert counter, behind the garbage can, and under my salad station!! I tried cleaning it up, but by 7:30 the puddle was back. So by the 9:30 I had a fairly large Cherry Pepsi flood beneath all my counters, and soaking up under the rug too. *siiiigh* I basically despise Cherry Pepsi right now.
But I have to admit, it was fun to clean up. I'm totally serious too, it was fun cleaning it up! I got to use our awesome giant squeegee thing, and after rolling up the rugs, I shoved my counters out of the way and squeegeed the soda into the dish pit. So then the pop was their problem, not mine. Mwahahahaa. That squeegee thing is pretty cool, though. Its because of that that I had fun cleaning up. The dish pit and the pizza line both had radios on, and were playing my favorite station, so I was singing along with almost all the songs that came on. And I used the squeegee handle as my mic. It was fun. Patrick and Bryan made fun of me, but I didn't care. Theresa joined me in singing along with American Boy (by Estelle and Kanya West), so I wasn't the only weird one. So yeah, I had fun singing while I worked.

I have to say, though, that the best thing about working at a restaurant is the food. You make friends with people who make the food, and by the end of cleanup, viola! You find two boxes of food next to your purse. I came away last night with three pieces of pizza and ten mozzarella sticks. (By the way, I love our mozzarella sticks! I totally recommend them to everyone!) Yep. Working in a restaurant is wonderful.

No comments: