My garden is going through an interesting stage right now. Most of it is dying, yes, but there is new life in it too. The other day I discovered a bush of holly. Though the rest of the garden may be brown and dying, this little bush is flourishing, reveling in the cold air. Every day it seems to have more bright red berries and green leaves. Its beautiful. It is the herald of winter.
Yesterday after visiting my garden, I decided to take a new way back to NSA. I went up first street, intending to turn right, and then down again, walking along that block rather than the one below it. But I got sidetracked.
Just up the street from my garden is the Episcopal church. Its a nice building; dark brick, beautiful bell tower (though, no bell). All in all, it has a very welcoming air about it. I went up the little pathway in the lawn and stood beside the bench. I didn't really know why, I was just standing there. Then suddenly I realized that I could hear the organ inside the church. Someone was playing Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing. One of my favorite hymns. I stood and listened as the music emanated through the brick.
After the song ended, I found myself really wanting to go inside. There was a sign on the door saying "Our church is open to prayer time". I wasn't really sure about that, but I was interested in seeing what it looks like inside. I might have actually gone in and just sat and looked about, but I was cutting it close to math time already.
But standing there in the grass, listening to the hymn floating softly through the air, I got this overwhelming feeling of blessedness. I am blessed. In so many wonderful ways. I may live in Moscow, of all places, and people may make fun of how small the town is. But its my home. It always has been, and I'm so lucky to have lived here my entire life. I'm sure there are many others who would love to be in my place. And I wish they could see what I see, and live with the joy with which I live.
But I wouldn't trade this for anything.
4 comments:
"But for me, I live in a little town, where I am willing to continue,
lest it should grow less"
-Plutarch, 'Demosthenes'
Beautiful. :)
"Streams of mercy never ceasing call for songs of loudest praise."
Come Thou Fount is a beautiful song... I am so glad to have moved to your little town :) It is the best.
Love you.
Jules
That song defined my first month or so at SFA this semester. I sang it for my accompanying class, and it keeps popping up in the funniest places. It definitely has (at the risk of sounding cheesy) a place in my heart. :-)
Post a Comment