Monday, November 03, 2008

Floating on Ice

We shiver and wait in line
We breathe and white ghosts appear in the air
It is November
But it feels like Christmas.

I am surprised to see you here
I didn't think I'd see you today
But I greet you anyhow.
How can I not?

The ice is smooth
with patches of shaved crystals covering the surface
I am fascinated.
I can't wait.

It's been so long
I've forgotten so much
I don't dare to practice
What I once learned

We laugh to keep warm
And tighten our skates to our feet
I want to wait for you,
But I can't wait much longer.

Are you ready now, friends?
Can we go?
Yes, button up your coat,
Please stay warm.

The first step is the hardest
The ice is slick, and we must find our balance
I wait and watch and laugh
As Kaleb clings to the walls and tries to stay up.

I want to go fast
But there's no room.
That doesn't stop Jeff, though
As past me he zooms.

The wind in my face
the chill on my cheeks
This is winter.
I can finally feel it.

My sweater is white
I blend in with the ice.
I laugh and wonder
If I will show up in any pictures.

Memories in the making.
Robin laughing and taking pictures
Jeff showering Mitch with the ice from his skates.
Kaleb laughing as he gains confidence.

Pete racing Gary from one end to the other
Kathleen doing spins in the center
(I wish I could join her. I know how too!)
The ears on Russ's hat make him look like he has wings

Josiah and Ty laughing as they pass me.
Chantelle spinning at the far end of the room
Caleb learning to skate backwards.
Becca is an ice pirate!

This is the first winter memory
All we lack now is snow.
When will it snow?
I hope it won't be long.

My skate catches on the ice
I fly forward
But catch myself
and end in a spin on one foot

I am stunned.
I can still do it!
But I won't try that again;
I'd rather live.

Swish, whoosh
Jeff flashes by
and I laugh at him
He's good at everything

It isn't fair.
How do some people have such talent
While others barely get by
without falling on their faces?

The night is late
The sky is black and orange.
Its Christmas time.
No, wait, it isn't.

I am confused.
Thanksgiving is yet to come
Christmas is still a ways away.
But tonight I can feel it coming.

Where is the snow?
It feels too much like Christmas.
But its not Christmas
if the snow doesn't fall

Back to dry ground
Too much ice on my blades.
Running my finger along the blade,
I watch the crystals fall to the ground
And melt away.

Everyone off the ice
Time to go home
Shut off the lights
Say goodnight.

We clomp back to our shoes
and free our feet from the electric blueness.
I can't help laughing at Dane as he mourns the disappearance of his shoes.
I can see them under his chair.

You leave with few parting words
Straightened things out now?
I hope so.
Life is good now.

Life was always good, though
How could it not be?
"Lose our troubles cause after all
Its Christmas time."

But wait! Picture time!
Can we turn the lights back on?
No?
We'll just use flash then.

Everyone line up,
Girls in front of boys.
I laugh and hug Robin
as I'm blinded by the light.

One more, stay put boys!
Silly picture this time!
We never know what to do for these.
So just pose.

Everyone calls "Thank you Stephen!"
As we get our cameras back from him.
... who is he??
We thank him anyhow.

It is warmer outside
No ice out here.
Just leaves beneath my feet
and puddles under my tires.

So much to see,
So much to remember
Will I forget it, I wonder?
No. Never.

5 comments:

trotter said...

Yeah, that was pretty awesome! I can't tell if ice skating or rugby made me more sore! I loved your stanza about Dane and his shoes. That's classic. Great work!

Addie said...

Thanks Kaleb! Oh, how did the rugby game turn out? Who won? I didn't get to see it, unfortunately. I'm glad you came skating, though! Wasn't it fun? :)

See you in Lordship!

trotter said...

The rugby game was AWESOME!! Blaine St. beat Ana something like 8 to 3 or 8 to 5 or something like that . . . anyways I posted about it on our blog if you want to hear a guy go crazy about the glories of smashing pumpkins and tackling people. Yes, ice skating was so much fun! I can't wait till I can actually start moving normally! :) See you tomorrow!

Addie said...

Cool! Even though I wasn't there, I was rooting for the Blaine st. boys. I'm glad they won! I'll go read your post about it soon. :)

Cheers!

Josiah Truax said...

WOW..... how did I miss this poem before???? Amazing yet again there Faith!!!!