Monday, November 17, 2008

Black and White keys

Being a pianist, I find myself drawn to songs that have piano in them. Be they classical, rock, swing, pop, jazz, or whatever else out there, if there's a piano in it, I'll probably like it. Not every song with a piano in it is great, though. Only songs with truly amazing piano lines are the ones that deserve to be titled amazing.

I haven't played my piano very much for the past three or four years, though. I've always loved the instrument, I just sort of stopped trying after a while. I'm sure I've lost a lot by now, but its never to late to pick it up again. I always play the piano more around Christmas time, but this year seems to have brought with it an even greater urge to play. I'm not sure what it is. Its as if I don't already have enough music in my life.

As a result, I've taken to playing the piano at NSA. Thus far I've only been able to do it on Fridays and even then only for a few minutes. But its worth it. Last Friday I was able to play through a few of the songs from Once. That being midterm Friday, I needed something to relieve the tension. Playing the piano does a fabulous job of that. Not only does the instrument create some of the most amazing sounds possible, but it also has an amazingly beautiful appearance. The skilfully carved wood, the brass pedals, the ebony and ivory keys intertwined ... it just has a beautiful look to it.

Tonight's song is another by William Joseph. I've decided, since discovering this song, that he is one of the best pianist I've ever heard(somewhere up there with Jim Brickman). This song, called Once Upon Love, is from his new album Beyond, and it is very beautiful.


Once Upon Love (Featuring David Foster) - William Joseph

No comments: