Hans Zimmer.
What a loser. He's stuck in a rut. Everything he writes sounds like the Pirates of the Carribean. I like his Batman Begins score, but it sounds way too much like his Pirates score that its ridiculous. There are moments where James Newton Howard breaks through the murky depth of Zimmer's music, and I get a breath of fresh air just listening to his music, but then the waves come crashing down again and Zimmer's repetitively cheep motifs thrust James back under. He'll resurface again (I know it), but until then I struggle through the rest of Zimmer's fakely triumphant notes.
How come he can't break out a little? The Lion King and Madagascar were about as far away from his usual self as he's gotten. And that's not far. He's got talent, he just needs to exercise it in more areas! He should learn from James Newton Howard. He could teach Zimmer a thing or two. Sheesh. It drives me crazy. How did he get to be so famous? How did he land the position of composer for so many great movies? Maybe directors are just hoping he'll shape up and do better the more movies he scores. Um... no. Y'all are out of it if you think that. Someone send him to a music camp to relearn it all! *sigh*
Thank goodness James Newton Howard is there to do the Batman scores with him. The movie would flip without James. Although it may be hard to hear him, his music is the thread that holds the whole score together. Without him, the whole thing would unravel and fall to pieces. Maybe Zimmer deserves that, but I suppose James is too nice to do that to him. Anyhow, thank goodness for James Newton Howard. He's amazing.
6 comments:
Amen. God bless James Newton Howard.
"The Vote" from The Village score taught me how to love.
Take care, best wishes,
Edmund Bertram
(confound my account for not working, this is an old username. Now posting here:
http://scripturalfidelity.wordpress.com)
Thank you for the comment, Edmund. The Vote is one of my favorite songs from The Village score! James Newton Howard is a master of music indeed. :)
You're most welcome. We have a mutual friend, though ourselves we're most removed.
Do you know if JNH is a Christian? 'Twould be wonderful to play in his orchestra someday...
We have a mutual friend? Who might that be? I admitt I am curious also to know how you found my blog. I don't mind that you did, I was just curious. :)
Hm... interesting thought; I actually don't know if Mr. Howard is a Christian or not. I really would not be surprised if he is. That would be wonderful!
I found your blog while looking for a certain friend you quote in a March 4, 2007 post. :-)
He's a great guy, by the way.
Post a Comment