Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Moment of Ecstasy

God is so good to allow moments of unbearable joy to be shown to us. Moments which are far quicker than a second sometimes, and at other times it lasts for entire minutes. And on occasion, even for hours.

This morning I had one of those minute-long moments, and although it was over all too soon, I can still picture everything *exactly* as it was when I saw it.

As I've mentioned once or twice before, the two windows in my room face full East. The sun comes bursting through my curtains in the mornings as it rises, and it is such a glorious thing.
Something else about my room that you should know, however, is that I have dried flowers in vases on my desks, dresser, and makeup table, and also hanging on every single wall. Not one wall is void of flowers. I'm starting to run out of space, in fact! Roses and baby's-breath, a few carnations and daisies which miraculously dried very well, and some leaves and greens of different varieties. I love my flowers, for they brighten my room considerably.
And the last thing you need to know is that I've also got a lot of glass in my room. The flower vases are glass, my many candle holders are glass, and then I've also got four crystal candlesticks standing proudly on my hope chest.

Now back to my story.

I'm not sure what it was, but at about 6:30 this morning, I was suddenly awakened. Not knowing what had awakened me, I sat up in bed and looked around my room. Because I was so tired when I went to bed last night, I had forgotten to close my curtains. Unhindered by my curtains, the sun came streaming into my room, and at the precise moment that I woke up and looked about me, the sunlight was shining right onto my crystal candlesticks and the four glass vases on my hope chest. It bounced off of the crystal and glass and began making rainbows around my room as I've seen it do a few times before. Only today it also did something else.

The rainbows and beams of light bouncing off the glass and crystal landed perfectly on the three bunches of red roses I had hung on the wall across the room, and the light hitting the roses suddenly set my room into a burst of reddish pink light. It mingled with the rainbows from the crystal and painted the very air itself with an astonishingly strange shade of red.

I sat there for a moment, my eyes glued to the walls of roses, and my mind going a thousand miles a minute, thinking a million thoughts at once. If I tried to take a picture of it, would it show up? Do I went to risk turning my back for a moment to get my camera in the first place?? I decided I didn't want to turn my eyes away from the sight, and I drank in every second of it.

As I said, it lasted only for about a minute, but it seemed like an eternity and an instant at the same time.

After the moment ended, I sat there thinking. There was no way on Earth that it was a coincidence that I woke up right then. No way that those three things collided at the same moment that I happened to be looking over there. It had to be at that right moment. Like it was meant to be.

What a glorious Lord we serve! One who will wake you up to show you how He can bring three things together to create something so majestic that words cannot explain it. His glorious light, shining through my windows, bouncing through and off the glass and crystal, and hitting the red roses. Three things so common, so ordinary.... yet... when put together in the right way... it gives you a feeling of unbearable joy and unexplainable dread at the same time. Joy because you know that there's no way it was a coincidence. He meant for you to see it. And dread because you know the power of the One who did it. You feel rather like the shepherds keeping watch over their flocks by night when the angels came to them, and the shepherds were afraid of the angels because of how beautiful they were. They majesty is overwhelming. And you can't say that it was just a bit of light and glass and color. It was more than that.

My moment of ecstasy ended, but the image of it remains with me. God is so good to allow moments of unbearable joy to be shown to us. To be printed on our minds for as long as we remember to remember them. A beautiful gift beyond compare. We deserve less, but He wants us to see and experience these things.

What a wonderful Lord we serve.

No comments: