It is now well after midnight, and I'm currently listening to Say It Again by Marie' Digby. The funny thing is that the cover to her CD makes me hungry! I'm totally serious! I feel like eating spaghetti. No wait, on second though, I don't really feel like eating it. I just really, really want to make it.
Spaghetti is really easy to make, too! Then again, it really isn't hard at all to boil noodles for ten minutes, and make some sauce(and meatballs if you have time in the afternoon). Its probably one of the fastest, easiest, yet most elegant dinners out there. Spaghetti is one of my father's favorite dishes, and I used to have it every Tuesday night(that was my night to make dinner since my mother had to be in Moscow until dinner time). It's been a while since we've had it, though, since it requires turning on the stove and thus heating up the kitchen by doing so. And in this crazily unusual heat, that's not something we want to do. But I miss it. I should make it again soon.
Oh! Lasagna sounds really good too. I have yet to try to make lasagna on my own, but its definitely one of my favorite Italian dishes. Since it has so many layers to it (something like noodles, cheese, sauce, more noodles, more sauce, etc), it takes a while to lay out. But my mother is pretty quick at it, so maybe I can learn from her the art of being quick, yet doing it right. And I probably will have to work on putting the cheese on the very top at the right time. It has to melt, but it can't burn either, and you have to time that with how well the rest of it is cooking. Confusing? Oh yes, but I love it. It's such a joy, it really is.
But while thinking about all that, you can't exclude the side dishes. What kind of meal what that be just on its own? Spaghetti and lasagna each need some sort of bread to compliment them. For spaghetti, hm... I could go with french bread. You can't really get any better than that for spaghetti. For lasagna, though, french bread is a little too.... buttery. Or something. No! For lasagna I would make foucaccia bread. Oh my word, that sounds AMAZING! I'm really really hungry now, haha!
And anyone who knows me knows that my masterpiece is pizza. I've been the pizza maker in my family for years, and I've been perfecting that art of making the perfect pizza ever since. I know the right thickness for the crust, the right amount of sauce, how much cheese to put on top, and then how much cheese to put on for the second layer, once the topping has been placed. And in my opinion, the best kind of pizza there is is pepperoni pizza. Fairly simple, yet beautiful, you can't get any better than that. And since every Friday night is Pizza Night in the Callihan household, I get to practice making my masterpieces every week. Making pizza is one of the many things that make me amazingly happy. I'm "in the zone", I suppose, when I'm making pizza. The kitchen is mine for an hour (everyone else knows to stay out of my way when I make pizza ((or maybe they're just trying to avoid my music. Hm. Either way, the kitchen is mine)), and I love it. Its like having my own house for a while, and I know that my family is depending on me to make their dinner for them. And knowing that I have that responsibility is something that I love. I love feeling that my family is dependant on me for some things. I suppose some girls would feel all pressured and not like it. Haha! Poor dears. They have no idea what they're missing.
Now, to finish it all off, I think for the drinks for these dishes, red wine would be best. Yes. Definitely. Spaghetti and lasagna deserve a more refined drink, whereas pizza is such a common thing now that it can handle (and rather needs) a more common drink to accompany it. Coke(preferably Pepsi, though) is the perfect drink for pizza. Especially pepperoni pizza. Pepsi and pepperoni. I tell you, it doesn't get much better than that, my friends.
Alright, let me switch visuals again and go back to spaghetti and lasagna. I can picture it now. It looks beautiful. A glass of red wine, a plate of spaghetti, and a short basket of french bread sitting in front of the plate. As for the lasagna, well, it looks rather the same, but we'll switch out the french bread for foucaccia bread. There. Can you see it? I can. It looks amazing, and now I'm pretty much desperate to go make it all. I shall have to wait a day or two, though.
Alright, there is my pasta post for the night. Sorry for ranting, but I hope you all enjoyed it. My mind works in myseterious ways, haha!
Goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment