Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Theme Songs

When I find a song that I love, I put it on repeat and play it over and over and over. I'll do this until I not only have the words memorized, but I also know every note of every measure of every bar of every instrument committed to memory. Occasionally, if the song ends up not being as great as I thought, I'll get tired of it before I've got every part of it memorized. But songs like Everything by Michael Buble and Life is a Highway by the Rascal Flatts have had me hooked since the first time I heard them.

The first time I heard Life is a Highway, I was watching Cars two years ago and I heard it on the soundtrack. I knew that it was an older song, and the Rascal Flatts were just remixing it, but I loved what they had done with it. I'd never really liked the song very much before, and I didn't really care for the voices of the singers who had written it. But the Rascal Flatts' version was just so much more than the original. It had so much more life to it, and I loved hearing that. Since then it has become one of my two theme songs.

The same goes for Everything. The first day I heard it (I remember it just as clearly now as though it were just last week), it was completely out of the blue. It was last Summer, and it was the day before we left for California for my cousin's graduation. I was packing my suitcase, and I remember being frustrated about something (I don't remember what it was now, haha!). I had the radio on, but I hadn't been paying much attention to it. Absentmindedly I heard the DJ say the name, and the second it started playing, I remember just standing there listening. It was so different from so different from the song that had been playing before it (Beverly Hills by Wheezer((I rather dislike that song)), and the comparison between the two was incredible. And Michael Buble's voice is enchanting. The lyrics are amazingly perfect, the sound is so sweet, and Michael Buble did an amazing job with it. It is now my favorite song in the entire world.

Since then many songs have come close to becoming favorites like those two, but somehow I always end up getting a bit tired of those other songs, and I move on to something else. I have entire weeks where I'll listen to one kind of music, and then hear something else, and will then listen to that kind of music for another round of weeks.

But I never get tired of Everything or Life is a Highway. They never get old. They always surprise me with how much joy and life they send out whenever they play. Life is a Highway reminds me of how life is always changing, and you have to ride it as best as you can. While Everything reminds me that love is everywhere. In everything and everyone, no matter where you go or who you see.

These two are my theme songs. Never tiring of them, not even years after the first listen. They never cease to bring joy to me. They never stop pulling at my heart to dance, and I can never stop myself from doing so. Never.

No comments: