Sunday, December 14, 2008

Light pt.1

I've developed a fascination and passion for light. Any kind of light. Be it light from the spheres above, or artificial light below, I'm fascinated with it.

The sun is mind boggling. I've always tended to look up toward the sun when I walk anywhere(though that might be partly attributed to the blueness of the sky).

The moon is eerie and entrancing, especially when the Moon Dog phenomenon occurs. One of the most mesmerizing things to watch at night, the Moon Dog is strange, confusing, and beautiful all at once. The moon is currently in such a position that it shine in through my window right about the time I go to bed each night, so my room is flooded with moonlight.

But then we have artificial light too. Lamps and other such light fixtures ... well they're just a lot of fun. Twinkle lights too, and it is these that fascinate me more than any other kind of artificial light.

For the past three Christmases I've been the one to put the lights on the tree. Dad used to always do them, but somehow that changed, and the role of stringing the lights fell to me. I love working with twinkle lights, as anyone would notice who should happen to see the front porch, living room, dining room, or my own bedroom.

I have a horrible schizophrenia when it comes to light, though. When I want it dark, I want it very dark. Pitch black, in fact. Any small light whatsoever will drive me insane, and I have to cover it up. I have almost the same paranoia about small lights as I do with high pitched sounds. I like my darkness to be full and complete, but it doesn't work like that when my cellphone is glowing, or my computer's speakers lights are on, or the light in the hallway is flooding in under my door.

But although I love the darkness in its own way, I love the light more. In my bedroom alone I have five lamps, the twinkle lights around my windows, the two electric candles in my windows, and then the two light fixtures in my ceiling. Its as if I can't get enough of it.

Call me the Mothgirl.

5 comments:

Clayton said...

Umm, Faith? I have the same paranoia about lights in darkness... I have to turn my cell phone over, or I can't fall asleep.

Light is even more fascinating when you try to simulate natural lights artificially. I've played with lighting digitally, in my 3D stuff, and also, I do the lighting for all my mother's pictures, So, it is interesting. It's funny, because lighting for pictures is simply trying to simulate natural lights. Oh, and have you noticed the color of seemingly "white" lights yet? The incident light in the shade is quite blue, where sunlight is more orange. But compared to an incandescent light buld, they both seem really blue! Florescent tubes have a green/yellow tinge to them. The glow from hot coals can range from deep red to bright yellow. :D

Addie said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! Sheesh! We really *are* twins, aren't we. :P

That's really cool! Yeah, I was noticing that lights have different shades and colors too, even if they're all supposed to be white. I plan to bring that up in one of my later posts on light, though. :) Coolness, yes?

David K said...

Light is so fascinating! I've studied it a lot when learning about film. When I was at UCLA film school, they gave us a whole lecture on light, and it was soooo cool.

In the hands of professional Gaffer (lighting-guy), light can make you trust the bad guy or doubt the good guy, it can make you feel happy or sad, or relaxed or tense, worried or confident, it can tell you that someone is lying, or telling the truth, it can make you dizzy or almost put you to sleep, it can make a character vulnerable and weak, then turn them into a champion, it can make one man gentle, and another one fierce, it can even tell stories.

A famous cinematographer said:
"Cinematography is like painting with light."



P.S. Paranoia and Schizophrenia are very different things. I don't think you meant Schizophrenia.

Shannon said...

Yes. Light is so fascinating. It's one of the reasons I love photography so much--and, really, it can tell a story all by itself. I guess along with an interest in light, I have an interest in optics--I don't know much yet, but I sure want to learn more. :-)

Jeremy Sauder said...

I love light, many of the reasons already addressed by David K.

And apparently, my first word was "light."