Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Death by shopping cart

The day before Christmas Eve is a dangerous day. Especially if you're in a grocery store. People hurling shopping carts in front of them as they race for the egg nog and frozen meat section, kids filling plastic bags full of Christmas candy, and employees looking drained and cross-eyed. Crossing main aisles is risky, so look both ways four times before you venture across. And don't even think about going to the grocery store even two hours before dinner, because the lines will be so long that you won't get out of there until 8:30. Watch out for that guy in the Santa cap. Look how those people dive out of his way as he comes flying past! Yeah, lets not even go down that aisle. Oh, you might need to go back and pick up a machete from the stack by the shopping carts; the wreckage from this morning's stampede probably isn't cleaned out and you'll need to hack your way through somehow. You were thinking about buying the sprinkles that're on that great Christmas sale today, weren't you? Don't even bother. They've been sold out since 9:00 this morning. And last of all, don't look at the floor. Yeah, that might look like ketchup, but did you see the ambulance pull out of the parking lot when you drove up?

Its almost Christmas. The air is filled with Christmas cheer and generosity. Especially at the grocery store. I'm sure that guy who just cut in front of you in line is really wishing you a merry Christmas inside.

Joy to the world.

2 comments:

UndercoverBlonde said...

lol, Faith, that was great!!
I totally hear you, though. I was the unlucky child who was sent to Wal-Mart yesterday, and I almost died. The only grocery item I needed was powdered sugar, but once I'd fought my way down the aisle I was met with an empty shelf covered in the white stuff. The aftermath of a scene of violence if there ever was one...

The Goode Wife said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Faith! The picture was not of Grants Pass, but it helps to dream. :) Have a great holiday!