Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hooked on Poetry

I think I'm hooked on writing poetry now. It never worked for me before, no matter what I tried. The words just wouldn't come. Rhyming was impossible, and I would get frustrated and give up easily. I've always loved poetry, I've just never really understood it, got the hang of it. My friends used to make fun of me for wishing I could write it and failing all the time. Although, heh, certain of my friends were never extremely wonderful at it either:

Adeline
By K. Trovato

There once was a girl named Adeline,
For really cool poems she did pine,
So I wrote her one,
I didn't think about it a ton,
A good final rhyme I could not find.


He wrote that for me once and I was so honored (yeah right) that I kept it. He actually is pretty good at writing poetry, though. He's written some really beautiful poems and posted them on his blog.

Okay! While I'm on the subject, is it just me or does it seem like writing poetry comes naturally to men?? How does that happen? All of my friend guys can write poetry like no body's business. Its funny how that happens (and also not fair!). I'm sure women have things that come naturally to us too, I just can't think of any of them.

Anyhow, after writing that poem about the nightmares I've been having, I've written a few more poems, and viola! They came with no trouble! Lord willing I'll be able to keep at it and practice my hand at it. Y'all will probably be my practice audience. This will be fun, buahaha...

3 comments:

trotter said...

Hey Faith!

Yeah, a couple of guys I know are like that. I really don't think guys are all that much better at it than women in general, though. Emily Dickenson. Need I say more? Somebody said that it's a man's intellectual rite of passage to have a sort of love affair with Emily. Definitely don't think I'm there yet. That is an interesting thought, though. There are certainly more male poets than female. Hmmmm . . .

Clayton said...

Well, I believe it may be that guys don't express their emotions on the outside as much as girls do, so there's alot to express.
But that's just a theory,
through tests may grow weary,
and in the end,
just may bend.

Yeah, I have no clue.
I think you're better at it than you think.

Addie said...

Hey Kaleb! That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before!And yes, Emily Dickinson was a *very* good poet. Then again, so was Robert Luis Stevenson! Aahhgg! ;)

Clayton, thank you so much for that. Yeah, you just proved my point. lol Thanks. ;)