Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Shaking the Sleep from our Eyes

Lunch time has come and gone. I sit on my end table and try to read. But sleep comes like the wolves in the darkness. I shift my position and try to concentrate harder. That is the whole reason that I'm sitting on the end table, rather than the couch or the poofy chairs. I need to stay awake. Lordship is behind us, choir will soon come to pass, and Rhetoric lurks just around the corner. I must stay awake until then. But sleep creeps onward.
My coke far beyond insufficient. It cannot keep me awake. I long for the blue tin of the Pepsi can, and wish there was a Pepsi machine close by; wising upon a star. And now my feet are cold. Are they falling asleep too? Goodness. I borrow a friends coat and wrap it around my ankles, hoping my friend won't mind. That's better. Now the warmth creeps up me, calling out for sleep to visit me.
NO! I refuse to succume, my eyes glued to the page of my book. In the chair by the window, Jesse wraps himself up in his own coat and drifts off. James and Frazer stare blankly off into Space. Ashley and Stephani read their homework slowly, quietly. It must be something in the air. Josiah comes around the corner and flops into the big chair. He is tired too. Lunch time seems to have this effect on the commons room fairly often. A post-nurishment stillness fills the air and effects all who pass through the room (Pete excluded). Our drowsy band struggles against this tiresome foe, waiting for the clock to finally send us all across the street for choir.
And then, the time does come. We stand, stretch, and pick up our black binders. Stepping out into the cool autumn air sends a shiver down my back, and my senses all awaken quickly, protesting my having left the comfort of the warm room. Crossing the street, and hurrying up the steps to the church where we practice, we chatter cheerfuly, trying to keep warm.
Once in the room, we find our seats, and wait patiently for Dr. Erb to start up practice. I am excited. I love to sing. I am awake now, and waiting in antisipation to hear the music soon to be produced.
We have shaken the sleep from our eyes.

No comments: