Saturday, October 18, 2008

Live your life!!

I've been inspired, ladies and gentlemen. Yes, inspired. Inspired to rebel against all computer, Nintendo, and video games.

One of my classmates wrote a paper about the benefits of Halo (if I remember correctly), and although it was well stated and had great points and arguments... I wasn't convinced. I like my friend, but I don't agree. It being after 2 AM, I'll give it a quick shot at defending my position against my friend's paper, but it won't be very sound. Not logically sound, anyhow. I can't think straight this early in the morning, so please don't tear me apart.

So! Let me just say that my main disgruntle toward said games is the amount of time they take. I know its possible to not spend hours playing, but it hardly seems to happen that way. People seem to get sucked in no matter what they say before hand. "Oh, I just want to try it. I'll probably be really bad at it anyhow. Probably be outta there in thirty minutes." Nope. Nice try, you'll get sucked in. It's like a mesmerising colored screen of death, and no one actually wants to leave. I bet that even I would get sucked in and not want to leave any time soon. Which is why I stay away from them. I would probably be tempted beyond my ability to hold back.

There are WAAAY better things for one to do with one's time then play Halo or whatever game it is that draws you in. Sheesh. Go outside! Breathe fresh air! Take in the beautiful sky and the clouds therein! Look at the people walking down the street. That guy's carrying flowers. Where do you suppose he's taking them? What about that girl in the brown hair and blue shirt? She's pretty crazy, isn't she? Grinning and looking at the world with wide eyes. Did you ever notice her before? Take time to look at the trees, dudes. Look at the little trenches that the rain has carved into the trunk. See that bit of pavement sticking up above the rest? A tree's roots pushed that up. Cool, huh? And you didn't even know that before, or if you did, you didn't give it a thought. Bring a bit of paper and a pencil (or pen, if you really think you're that hardcore) and find something to draw. The main street-side of a building, a tree, a fountain, a car, a defenseless-looking college guy being trapped by mormons ...

There's so much to do, and most of it is outside! So grab your coat and don't let the world get by you without meeting it full on!

God bless your weekend!
Faith

3 comments:

Clayton said...

Your point is well taken, and I agree. I don't play alot of video games. I actually prefer a good card game or a board game.

Though, there *is* something to be said about video games. They're comforting. there's something incredibly satisfying about driving at 200+ MPH, or blasting the crap out of little zombies. It's an escape from reality. You don't have to reason with the video game, nor do you have to feel anything, and you know it's fake so it doesn't bother your conscience. All you need to do is act and react. Basically, you escape from the outside world and yourself.

This is not a bad thing if it's occasionally. Junk food won't hurt you if you eat it occasionally. It's really like junk food for the brain. So, if you do indulge, do it carefully or you'll make your mind sick.

Addie said...

I fail to see how "escaping from yourself" could possibly be a good thing. Why would you want to be mindless and unfeeling like that? You yourself said that sleep is really weird because we lose all control of our minds and bodies for hours on end. You're contradicting yourself, I think. ;) Playing video games is like taking drugs, or something. Its a stimulant in a way. No matter how often you play them, you *are* playing them, and for the reasons you gave(which I fail to see as good ones). I don't see any benefits from it, and there certainly are *many* other ways to comfort one's self.

No offence, Clayton, that's just my view. :)

Clayton said...

Now, keep in mind, I agree with you. I don't think that they're a good thing in that way at all. :-)

"Gamers" are sad and lonely people. The idea of being a "gamer" is not at all what I' talking about. I react to that and find it revolting, to be honest.

Have you ever eaten a bag of popcorn, or doritos after a long day? Ever sit and listen to music while doing nothing else for hours? Ever eat a bag full of gummie bears?(with help, of course :P) Are those things not equally drugs? if you ate mainly doritos and gummie bears, you'd get sick, no? But I don't think you'd say that it's bad on occasion. on Wednesday, I had a two hour chemistry exam, with another one right after. between the two, I grabbed some Cheetos, and my lab partner grabbed some pop-tarts.

We use so many things as "drugs" to maintain our sanity. Books are one way of doing that. Video games is another of them. Not that I advocate an excess of them, but your occasional Halo round, or cop chase, or worms battle to relieve some stress and not think about things for a while is okay.

Really, I agree with you. your point is well made. But I think removing completely from them is not necessarily the right answer. television, internet and movies are similar, but you don't stop using all of them, do you? No, you moderate yourself. Video games are okay in moderation. That is all I'm saying.