Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Job hunting

Which is harder? Applying for jobs? Or applying for colleges?

I hated all the hoops I had to jump through to get to NSA. I made it in the end, but it was so stressful. Applying for the UI took like ten minutes, though getting it to the office during their summer hours proved to be interesting for a few days.

Job hunting is proving to be miserably stupid, though. Since I quit Smoky, I've looked for a job in retail, then florestry, and now I'm applying at the jewelry stores. I struck out on the first two rounds, so this should be interesting. I'm just praying that I can land something soon.

I'm becoming a professional at filling out applications and talking to people about work. I used to be nervous about going in and asking for applications and talking to managers and such, but now I've got it all down. I know how to present myself and fit in with the kind of work I'm (currently) looking for.

Its kind of pathetic, actually.

And whats more is that I have a sort of love-hate thing going for those online applications. Sometimes they're a lot of fun (y'all should go apply to Old Navy just for the heck of it. Its a blast), while other times they take like an hour to complete, and if you go over the time limit you have to start over again. So they're fun and frustrating at the same time. I went a little nuts a few weeks ago and stayed up really late completing two extra applications just because it was fun. Heehee...

The actual paper apps are cool too, though. They're old fashioned, and you have a lot more responsibility with those because you have to take them back to the store in fairly good condition.

Anyhow, the job search continues. I'll just keep broadening my search until I find something. I'll probably go back to restaurants next if I fail at landing a job in a jewelry store too. Its tough and stressful sometimes, but I'm not giving up. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain. I've resigned myself to the lack of a second summer job, and now I'm starting the process of applying to jobs in Moscow for the school year. Sounds like a tough job market...

Juliet SN said...

I would definitely go with applying for jobs as being harder... :) Praying that you find a job soon!! :)

Curtis said...

So, why no more Smokey Mountain? I thought you loved that job? Whatever the reason, I hope you find another job soon!

Oh, and are you coming to NSA full time this next year?

Addie said...

No more Smoky Mountain for a number of reasons, but the most prominent being that they weren't going to be able to give me enough work. They were overstaffed, and people were going to have to quit or be fired anhow. So I quit, and still drop in sometimes to say hey to my friends. :)

And actually... I'm not coming back to NSA at all this year. I'll explain my plans for this school year in an upcoming post, hopefully.