Friday, August 15, 2008

I am an Owl

A night owl, to be specific.

I suffer from spastic bursts of energy after 11:30 PM. Currently I'm in one of my cleaning moods. Ever since the Hill Abbey started three weeks ago, my room hasn't exactly been free of clutter, shall we say. It's not trashed, but I'm one of those people who, well, if it's my possession in question, I'm protective and take care of it. Probably a good quality to have, but sometimes it can be overbearing. Like this cleaning-the-room-at-midnight thing. I love doing it, but I probably should be getting sleep instead. It's driving me crazy, though, and like I said, I'm a night owl. I probably couldn't sleep anyhow. Not yet.

During the two weeks of the Hill Abbey, I covered one of Liz's cleaning jobs for her, so that she wouldn't miss out on any of the readings. I love cleaning. Its very satisfying because unlike many other jobs, you can tell a different between before and after. I love being able to see a difference after my work.

Anyhow, cleaning this house for Liz was really fun. I did it every Friday afternoon and it took me two and a half hours. I had the house all to myself, and I sang and danced around while I cleaned, trying to make it as spotless as possible. I knew that not only my own reputation with this family was in the balance by how well I did at the cleaning, but also Liz's. I'd hate to ruin Liz's reputation by how her stand-in does when she takes over. So I had fun and did my best.

But goodness, if I ever let my house get as bad as that house was... please hang me. Or shoot me. Or something. I cannot believe that there are people out there who will let their house get into such a state in seven days. Crumbs on the table, the floors sticky with spilled juice, the sinks unscrubbed, the carpets filled with dirt and those little brightly colored BBs... it would drive me insane. I couldn't live in a house that messy. How can people not care about how they live? Their surroundings? How can they ignore that?

I've never really thought of myself as a particularly neat person, but over the past year or so, I've come to see that compared to a lot of people... I am a pretty neat person. And that's a rather frightening thought, actually. "To think! All my life I've been elegant and I didn't know it!" Something like that. It's just another of those curve balls that life throws at you, I suppose.

And thus runs the mind of La Butterfly at this particular time at night. It is now 2:23 AM, and my brain is now dead. Time to call it a night (or rather, a morning).

Cheers!

No comments: