You know what drives me crazy? No, wait, let me rephrase that: do you know what one of the things that drives me crazy is? Swearing. Oh yeah! I'll *never* understand what the point of it is, and until then it will continue to drive me insane.
I've asked one or two people why they do it, and they usually always say that it's funny; it often gets positive attention. Yeah, I'll agree that it does catch attention, but not always positive. But first, do you know who's positive attention you're getting? The flouncy, ungodly, and often immoral people's attention, that's who. And do you really want people like that to be giving you positive attention? If so, then you've got it all wrong, and I will pray for you.
But you're also catching the attention of everyone else, and not because they think you're funny. They're probably wondering why you needed to say that? Or, rather, why you thought you needed to say that at all! These are the people who's opinion is really worth something, because they know what is base and what is not.
Swearing and taking the Lord's name in vain certainly is base. It's beneath what we as humans and made in the image of God should be doing. It is unrefined and ungentle. Why is it so hard to understand that they would be so much more honorable if only they would rise above such base things? Who doesn't want to be honored? Who doesn't want respect?
The reason this is all coming to a head now, is because an acquaintance of mine told me the other day that he none of the girls he thinks are worth anything seem to take much notice of him, no matter what he does to try to catch their attention. I'm not going to lie, so when he asked me specifically why they would do this, I told him it probably has something to do with his manners in this area. No girl who is worth anything is going to be impressed by actions such as these. If you're trying to catch someone's attention, don't do it by flaunting your willingness to toe the line. When she sees this (and if she is worth anything) she will either back off or tell you to stop, or both in progression. I'm one of these girls, and let me tell you, I'm not impressed in the least. So while you might be getting "positive attention" from some people, you're majorly loosing respect from the people who's respect is going to be hard to win back.
Now, in light of all this, tell me again; why do it?
No comments:
Post a Comment