Saturday, March 03, 2007

My Garden

My Garden
By Faith A. Callihan

My garden in bare. The ground is hard and cold. There is no life. Nothing grows. Dust blows at the bidding of the wind. My Lord walks in my garden, for He made it for me. He walks upon the ground and blesses it. He turns to me and speaks to me. He tells me, you shall reap blessing upon blessing, for this garden have I placed within your hands.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so. It is filled with rare flower blossoms, blooming trees, and running streams of water. It is full of life, and the sun shines warmly upon it. I move through my garden with grace and joy. I tend the ground and prepare it for planting. I refresh the trees with water. I remove those evil weeds whose hearts lie only in poisoning my garden.

My Lord walks through my garden. He walks through it in joy. He sees my work and is pleased. His eye finds no evil in it. He walks upon the soft grass and is pleased with its touch. My Lord walks through my garden and blesses it.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so. It's flowers are full. Their petals are bright with color, and their stems are thick and green. They grow thick and close together, and the butterflies prance upon their open buds. The wind plays among them. They turn their heads up toward the sky and speak of the glory of their Creator.

My Lord walks through my garden. He sees the flowers, their gentle beauty. He joys in their soft petals. They bend before Him with the breezes of the wind. Their scent goes up before them, and the air is filled with a beautiful aroma. My Lord blesses the blossoms of the ground, and says to me my work is good.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so. Its trees grow strong and tall, and all their branches are thick. The Fir grows on the hill, as a king upon a mountain, and the Birch flutters its leaves in the breezes. The Willow waves it branches above the streams, and the Oak towers above all else. They reach to the skies, whispering the glory of their Creator.

My Lord walks through my garden. He sees the trees, how they stand as a giant upon the heights of Zion. The wind blows through their leaves, and they shake their branches in His presents. They tower upon the hills, but He is greater by far than they, and they too bend before Him. They whisper his name with every rustle of their leaves. My Lord blesses the trees of the earth, and says to me my work is good.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so. Its streams run clear and cool, and the fishes of the water swim peacefully within it. The water leaps over the stones of its bed, and its ripples are smooth. It nourishes all living things within my garden, and I drink of its waters to quench my thirst. The sound of its waters is pleasant to hear, for it speaks of the glory of its Creator.

My Lord walks through my garden. He sees the streams within my garden. He touches the waters and they ripple joyfully at the touch of His hand. He feels the coolness of its water, and it fills His heart with gladness. The springs upon the rocks glisten as its water runs down the hard rock's face. My Lord blesses the streams of water, and says to me my work is good.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so. The grass upon the ground grows thick and soft. It spreads out across the floor of the earth, and it is kind to me when I tread upon it. I walk upon the grasses of my garden, and the wind stirs it up before me. Its stalks grow strong and green, and speak of the glory of their Creator.

My Lord walks through my garden. He walks upon the grass and sees it's beauty. The grasses are gentle under His feet, and His heart is filled with gladness. He sees their small sturdy stalks, and joys in their bright color. Their stems are fresh and young, and their roots reach deep into the earth. My Lord blesses the grasses of the earth, and says to me my work is good.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so. The air is clean and the sky brings clouds full of rain. My Lord makes it to rain upon my garden. The air is wet, and my flowers close for a time. The trees reach up into the clouds and receive the rain with gladness. My Lord makes the rain to cease and the sky to clear, and reveals the sun again. The flowers open their buds wider than before and release a sweet perfume into the air. The wind blows and whispers of the glory of its Creator. My Lord walks through my garden. He sees the air, that it is clear and cool. The scent of the blossoms of my garden fill the air, and all is refreshed by my Lord's rain. The wind blows through the trees and flowers, and the sun smiles upon my garden. My Lord is pleased with the scent of the air. My Lord blesses the air, and says to me my work is good.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so. The trees and flowers shift as the breezes play among their bases, and their roots run deep. They reach to the skies, and I walk among them in the daytime. The streams fill my garden with a beautiful sound. They laugh and sing as they run over the rocks in their river beds, and I am made glad with their sounds. The air is fresh and clean, and I breathe deeply as I work in my garden. My whole garden is full of life, and my heart is filled with happiness as I work in it. I reap blessing upon blessing, and I tend to my garden. I joy in my work, and I speak of the glory of my Creator.

My Lord walks through my garden. He sees the flowers, how beautiful and delicate they are. He sees the trees, how tall and strong they grow. He hears the streams and joys in the sound. The water runs clear and cool, and is smooth to His touch. He sees the air, how it is full of life. The sky clears at His presence and the sun shines upon my garden. My lord walks through my garden in peace. My Lord sees me working in my garden and is pleased with my work. He speaks to me with a kind voice and tells me my work is good. He speaks to me of blessings thousandfold upon my garden, and of long years of life for me. He heaps blessings upon my head, and my heart is overjoyed.

My garden is beautiful, for my Lord has made it so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice writing, Faith. :) See you tonight.

Addie said...

Thanks, Mike! I had a blast writing it. :) See you later!

Little Drummer Boy said...

Mmm, that was wonderful, Faith! The world becomes such an incredible place when you realize that everything good comes from, and is embodied in, the nature of God! What you've written paints that canvas of truth in brilliant colors :-) Similarly, it's so amazing to find fulfillment in something beyond ourselves - like your garden. I really enjoyed reading about it :-)

And thank you for your very encouraging words about some of the little things I've written! I really find a lot of joy in writing and it makes me happy to see that others do as well. Definitely feel free to use post what you want on your site, it's a privilege for me! I appreciate you asking :-)

As a word of encouragement to you, in light of your post on writing and poetry, just start and practice - and you'll be amazed :) It's awesome how much progress you can make after just taking the first tough steps :-) Almost like a leap of...well, faith :-)

I really enjoy reading your site, Faith! Keep up the good work :-)

Addie said...

Thank you, Jon! I'm glad you liked my story. :) And thank you also for your encouragment to keep writing. I'm sure I'll never get the rythem of poetry, but writing stories is another thing entirely. :D
Yes! It is truly wonderful to see how many ways the Lord blesses us. We're blessed even with the smallest things that we see so often that we start taking for granted. We do indeed serve a loving faithful God. :)

See you in class on Tuesday, Jon! :D