Friday, October 20, 2006

East and West

So, I now officially love Swing dancing. Before tonight I only knew East Coast Swing, and I thought that was fun. Then tonight while Travis and I were working on the Waltz, he suddenly got into this swing groove and decided to teach me West Coast Swing. It's so fun! It only has two basic steps, instead of the usual four in East Coast. And then he had this whole different version of the Pretzel that he did, and I just sort of went with it, having no clue what I was supposed to be doing. It was so fun! Of course, after a few minutes, we noticed that people were looking at us funny, so we decided to get back to the waltz.
Have I ever told you that Swing is my very favorite kind of dance? Well, it is. Even more than the Celtic/folk stuff that we do at the balls. Why? Here're by reasons:
1) In Swing, it's all the same. A girl doesn't have to worry about the possibility of missing her favorite dance if she isn't asked. If she misses a dance, it's all good because she might get asked to dance the next dance. In Swing, all she has to think about is hope she gets a guy who knows what he's doing. ;)
2) Swing is fast. I'm not a slow dancer; I'm a fast dancer. If any of you were at the double wedding a few weeks ago, you may have seen me dancing at the reception. Hehe ... sorry if I scared you, but you know how it is. Sometimes a girl just get's carried away with the beat. Now you know that real me. ;-)
Anyhow, that's probably why I don't like waltzing all that much. It's slow. I mean, it's alright as far as waltzing goes, but it just can't be compared to Swing. ;)
3) Now that I've gone to a few swing dances, I'm addicted. I can't live without it, now. Especially now that I've learned West Coast. :) Someday I'll learn the Lindy Hop, and then I'll be all set.
And so my friends, you now know my views on Swing dancing.

I love it!

No comments: