When I was fifteen, I had the happy job of being in charge of the sprinkles around the house. We don't have an in-ground system; I was the system. Moving sprinklers is a simple task, but I put my heart and soul into it and loved it. I formed charts, maps, schedules, rotational instructions for myself, and knew exactly where each sprinkler would be moved to at each rotation and when. I was in charge of a lot, and I loved it. I remember thinking often of what Jesus said about the man who is faithful with a little, and how he will be blessed with even more. I was so happy with that job, and I wanted more. I had my eyes on the grass and trees that weren't getting watered. I wanted to care for them. But I knew I had to be faithful with what I did have. I had a lot, oh yes! But I was eager to be given more to care for. To have more to be faithful with.
Its natural for us to want more. God gave Adam charge over the creatures He created, and brought them to him to see what he would call them. He made us the stewards of His creation, and with that position comes the desire to be a steward. We want more, and its a good desire because we have a right to it.
But before we can ask everything our hearts desire, we must learn contentment and faithfulness in what we have now, here. If we're not content with what we do have, how can we ever be happy once we reach the things that we long for?
"One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?"
- Luke 16:10-11
We must first learn to be faithful in what we've been given stewardship over now, no matter how little it may be. It too was given to us, a gift of its own. After a time, we forget to see the things around us as the gifts they once were, and we set our sights on more. Again, its not wrong to want more, as long as we seek to glory Him in these things. Our own selfishness is just that. Selfish.
I know what I want, but I also know that there are cases in which it would be selfish of me to ask for it. First I need to be faithful with what I do have, and more than that, I need to be content and thankful for it. And I know that in the end, His will for me will be worked out to His glory rather than mine, and my being faithful in a little will make me faithful in much, whether or not its the "much" that I wanted.
His will be done.
"His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'"
- Matthew 25:21
1 comment:
Yes and amen. :-)
Post a Comment