Thursday, February 04, 2010

Break Through ~ Colbie Caillat

Colbie Caillat's newest album Break Through has been my constant companion this week. I've been dying to get my hands on it ever since it was released, and I finally was able to make it my own on Sunday evening.

Just like Coco, its a masterpiece of lyric, rhythm, tone, and notes. But unlike Coco, it is full of heartbreak. Coco was an album of hope and bouncy-happiness. But Break Through is about staying strong through heartache and taking it slow. Droplets, which is a duet between Jason Reeves and Colbie Caillat, says, "He left a mark, she left a mark, and I don't need it." And then some ten tracks later you have Never Let You Go, which speaks of not letting go no matter what. That's a good combination, I'd say.

That makes it sound like a depressing album, but keep in mind who the artist of this album is. Colbie Caillat can write songs about breakups and heartache with a still hopeful sound to them, and that's not all. Between these songs encouraging strength in pain, she inserts tracks like Rainbow and Fallin' For You and You Got Me and Stay With Me. If you ask me, they should be listened to in that order too. The progression from one to the next is perfect. And then, top it off with Never Let You Go, and you've got the perfect love story.

The point of this is that I recommend this album without hesitation. It truly is beautiful.


"I'm leaving you...
Not sure if that's what I should do
It hurts so bad,
I'm wanting you but I can't go back...

'cause I'm walking down this road along
And thinking, all I'm thinking 'bout
Is you, is you, my love.
My head is in a cloud of rain,
and the world, it seems to far away,
And I'm just waiting to fall
Like droplets."
~ Droplets

"I'm still feeling the rain fall,
Bouncing off my skin.
How long do I have to wait for
The sun to shine again?
Come out and paint me a rainbow,
So I can follow it.
I don't know where it'll take me,
But I like wondering...

Whoever you are,
Where will you be?
Are you the same old dreamer
Out there waiting only for me?
Waiting for love?
Waiting for the same old dreamer
On the other side hoping?
And no matter how far
I'm gonna find my way back to you...
... following a rainbow."
~ Rainbow

"This is not the way that is should end,
Its the way it should begin,
Its the way it should begin again.
Oh, I never wanna fall apart,
Never wanna break your heart,
Never wanna let you break mine.
Yes, I knew we said a lot of things
That we probably didn't mean,
But its not too late to take them back.
So before you say you're gonna go
I should probably let you know
That I never knew what I had."
~ Begin Again

"Oh I just can't get enough,
How much do I need to fill me up?
It feels so good it must be love!
I give up,
I give in,
I let go,
Lets begin,
'cause no matter what I do,
My heart is filled with you.
You got me."
~ You Got Me

"If the world stops turning,
If the sun stops burning,
When the cold wind starts to blow,
I want to let you know,
I'll never let you go.

When you feel like breaking,
When your heart keeps waiting,
When the tears begin to flow,
I want to let you know,
I'll never let you go."
~ Never Let You Go

No comments: