Saturday, February 13, 2010

Beautiful Girlhood

First of all; gentlemen, you can disregard this post. It really won't interest you at all, trust me.

And now for the good stuff!

Ladies! Behold! I have a book to recommend to you, or your daughters, depending on your age. But first, we must specify where the line between those ages is.

Today, ladies, it is exactly one month until my twentieth birthday. (Yes, I know its amazing that I've made it this far without blowing too many things up). With that in mind, if I hadn't read this book when I was thirteen years old and were to pick it up now, it wouldn't have the same effect (if any) on me now as it did then. When I was thirteen, it was the right age, because I was a girl growing up into a woman. Slowly, yes, but at that point it was starting to happen.
So, in this case, I'd say that this book will apply to you if you are between twelve and fourteen. Which... pretty much rules out all of my readers, haha, but I'm still going to tell you about it.

Its called Beautiful Girlhood by M. Hale.

As you can see, my copy is well worn, for of all the books I had read up until December 2009, this book (aside from the bible) had the biggest impact on my life. It shaped me more than any other book into who I am now.

Written in the early 1900s, I believe, it was meant to be read by mothers to their daughters as they reach that point where they begin changing from girls into young ladies. Mrs. Hale writes about handling nearly every characteristic and quality that young women will gain as they grow up, and even several that she should learn to fight against. She writes of truthfulness, jealousy, discretion, boisterousness, honesty, modesty, trust, serving others, communication, biblical knowledge, relationships with parents (specifically with her mother), having "a sunny disposition", knowing a woman's calling, and even a conversation on both inward and outward beauty.

My mother read it with me and my older sisters, though only Liz and I were at the right age for it to take effect, I think. Kate and Emily payed attention of course, but by that time they had already learned a lot of it. I remember sitting and listening and wishing that someday I could be all that Mrs. Hale spoke of.

The chapter on having a sunny disposition effected me greatly, I must say, and I never quite forgot it. Neither did I forget the story she told about the group of schoolgirls who asked their teacher who had the most beautiful hands, and were told that Mary (not among the group) had the most beautiful hands because they were always serving others. And the chapter on outward beauty, and the beautiful young lady with red hair and no obedience to her father versus the plain girl who honored and respect her father. Drawing parallels and telling stories were two of Mrs. Hale's strongest points, and she used them well. And one of the greatest beauties about this book is that it was written over a century ago. Its somewhat old fashioned, and beautifully so! Mrs. Hale was clearly gracious and gentle, and it shows well in her writing, making the entire book a very desirable read.

Ever since that first time I read it with my mother and sisters, I've read it again and again, and I still read it now. For me, though a twenty year old, this book still means a lot because of the history I have with it, and how influential it was to me in the time I needed it. After reading through it many times, I've long since decided on exactly what kind of woman I want to be, and much of it was due to Mrs. Hale's book. I've still so much to learn, so much to become and change and let go of. But at the same time, I have learned so much, and I'm not sure I would have if it hadn't been for Beautiful Girlhood and the conversations and thoughts that it inspired.

I would recommend this book to any girl at that point in her life, and am quite sure that it will guide her in the right directions, while helping her to desire the right ideals and values, and decide as I did the kind of woman that she wants to grow up to become. The copy that I own was once my mother's, and her name is written in her lovely handwriting, with my name written just below hers. And I, in turn, intend to give it to my daughter, no matter how worn it is and will become. After all, in my mind, the wear and tear as it is passed down from generation to generation makes it all the more beautiful.

"Far away there in sunsine are my highest aspirations.
I may not reach them,
but I can look up and see their beauty,
believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
~ Louisa May Alcott

2 comments:

NB said...

No way!! I had that book as a kid... I was just thinking about it the other day. :)

Kate Sumpter said...

Mom read it to Emily when she was young (I remember being told that I could hear it when I was older.) Then, when it was my turn, Emily sat in while Mom read to me. And so on. I think you only remember when Mom was reading to Liz and you since we all joined in at that point.

Love ya, sunshine!