Saturday, August 01, 2009

Vermilion World III

The water laps at the shoreline and is undecided
It peals itself away from the burning sand in fear.
I roll with the waves and am spat out upon the beach
My eyes close with the sting of pacific salt.
Starfish grip the rocky crags as the ocean leaves them stranded.
I am a starfish. I am stranded.
And the world turned 'round.

My island is small and sharp
Untroubled, hardened, beautiful
It is made of rocks and palms and rice and yellow grass.
But I am watermarked.
I am of the sea, the stars, the wind
A rover of the blue shores, ready to sail when the tide bids.
And the world turned 'round.

Breezes blow the sand in transparent ripples
Searching, wandering, I know my needs and I will meet them.
Damp branches of orchids and sugar cane brushed aside
Rocks rise to meet me, wet with sea spray and salt pebbles.
A wall of dirt and weeds, hidden from sightless eyes...
A fortress! A castle! A hope?
And the world turned 'round.


To be continued...

1 comment: