Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First day of school...

So, for the record, the plans have changed yet again since the last time I posted, and I'm now dual enrolled in Sheffield and Hill Abbey, both of which look to be amazingly fun. Sheffield won't start for another two weeks or so, but Hill Abbey officially started this morning.

Lets just say that this is going to be a great school year. How could it be anything BUT great since my first book to read for the school year is the Iliad? Lets just say that my dad is awesome. We're also reading De Descriptione Temporum by C.S. Lewis, poetry selections, and contemporary Christian authors (such as Doug Wilson, Dr. Pete Leithart, etc). We also have to write an essay every week and hopefully improve our writing that way.

And then, ladies and gentlemen, we have a little thing called a florilegium. Its a journal for us to write quotes, notes, and/or pretty much anything we think of while we read and write. Basically its a common place book, except that it has a latin name (which translates literaly to "a collection of flowers". Cool, yes?) My florilegium is a smallish, black leather covered book, which I've found over the past twelve hours to be absolutely perfect for this.

So basically, this year is going to be pretty much amazing, and Lord willing I'll learn a lot. I'm excited to be one of the three first students of Hill Abbey, and looking forward to an amazing year.

God bless you all, and enjoy the start of a great school year! Stay strong, respect your teachers, learn from them, and remember that homework is a blessing, no matter how much of it you may be given. Count it all joy, y'all, for that is what it really is. Learning is a joy. We just need to have the sight to see that.

Grace and peace!

No comments: