Friday, February 23, 2007

A Sudden Blow

Tonight after I got home from choir the first thing I checked was the weather maps on NOAA's site. And I pretty much had a panic attack. For there, splashed across Oklahoma, was a bright yellow color. Yellow means tornadoes. I checked the color chart below and low and behold, Oklahoma was indeed under a tornado watch.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about a few posts below. How something can come out of nowhere and throw you off your groove. You might have just come home from choir, where you raced your siblings to the car and raced home to chocolate cupcakes. You could have been having a fabulous dragon-free day, when suddenly - BAM! It hits you and you find yourself reeling under the shock. One moment you're so happy, and the next moment all you want to do is pray as hard as you possibly can.

One of my very best friends lives right smack in the middle of that awful sunflower yellow color.

I sit here, not really knowing what I'm saying. Just that I'm writing, writing, writing. Writing about how things can change so fast. And you all probably don't really care since you don't know the girl.
She is the girl I went to visit last July. And my plane got delayed for three days. And Hannah was always so happy that I would be staying another day with her. I know her so well; thinking of her in harm is ... simply not possible. I just can't imagine that. Her family was so kind to me. Mr. Ballinger would tell me story's about all the tornadoes that came close to their house, knowing that I am fascinated with tornadoes. I listened to his story's with delight, trying to imagine it. And Hannah would sit beside me with a cheerful smile, glad that none of the tornadoes had hit them, but excited about the adventure of it all.
And tonight, although I would love to see a tornado myself, I can't help feeling afraid for her. She isn't as strong as I am, and would probably be afraid too if a tornado comes close to her house. She is the oldest of six kids, and they all are fairly sensitive. I know she would be brave in front of them, and would take care of them. But I also know that inside, she would be just as afraid as them. Thus, I am so afraid for her.

.... and now I'm making myself cry. Goodness. Its amazing how something can effect you so much so suddenly.

But the Lord works in mysterious ways and does all for His own purposes. I know He has a plan, and I will trust him, and continue to pray for Hannah and her family. For the prayers of the saints are an amazingly powerful thing. He will hear their cry and save them. Amen.

No comments: