Thursday, February 08, 2007

A light in darkness

"Isn't it funny how you'll be having a great day, and then suddenly something comes out of nowhere and completely throws you off? It's amazing how one little thing can mess up your day...it makes me think more about what I do/say, because I want to the be the person that makes everyone's day better, not worse."

A friend of mine wrote that in a post on her blog a while ago. It's very true; I've seen it happen often, to me and to other people. It's amazing how fast it can happen. You might be having a great morning when you get a call and hear that a friend was in a car wreck, or that your grandfather in Georgia is dying. Or even if you hear that a friend is sick, that in itself is enough to make one sad.

But it can happen the other way around as well. We could be having a terrible day, when a friend walks into the room with a cheerful smile on their face. The sight of them, their happiness, is often a huge encouragement to me. They may come over to talk to you and they're probably in an odd mood, and by the time you must part ways, you have been laughing at your friend's oddness. And sometimes simply talking to someone who will sit and listen to you when you need to talk to someone is enough to lighten the heaviest loads. Knowing that someone cares whether you're having a good day or a bad day is very comforting to me.

Yes, it makes me want be the kind of girl who could turn someone's day right-side up and make things better for them. I wish I could be the kind of girl who can brighten someone's day, not bring clouds to it. To be a light when darkness surrounds. To be the person who listens when a friend needs to be heard.

Well, with God's grace and guidance anything is possible. Perhaps someday I'll calm down enough to be known as the kind of girl who brightens rooms when she enters them. The kind of girl who can make people happy when they had previously been feeling awful.

Perhaps, someday...

No comments: