I'm went swing dancing again last night. I seem to go swing dancing a lot, don't I? Yes, I do. And I love it! It would take a lot of coaxing to get me to *not* go swing dancing. I wish everyone loved to dance as much as I do. The world would be a wonderful place if everyone loved to dance. Ah well.
But you know what? I seem to have a reputation for it now. Last month a young man walked up to me at a wedding and asked if I would teach him how to swing dance. He said he'd heard that I was really good at it. This stunned me. Who in the world has been going around telling people that I'm good at it?? I'm not bad at it, but why do I have a reputation for being "really good at it"?
But wait! It gets even better! That reputation used to be only a reputation I had among those of us who frequent the dance floor. But apparently the reputation is now spreading through Schola!! What in the world?? How did it get there?? So now people have been making me promise to teach them how to swing at the Summer Academy in Pennsylvania. Fantastic, yes? Yes. It'll definitely be interesting. lol
Anyhow, last night wasn't the most fun dance I've been to, but it was fun. I didn't get asked as much, but I did get the delight of discovering that Noah is *really* good at swing. He doesn't think so, but his sisters teach him everything they learn at their swing classes, so he really does know a lot, and he's a lot better at a lot of moves than most of the other guys. I was thrilled to find another young gentleman who is fun to dance with and who actually knows what he's doing. Plus, he knows how to do my favorite dip. I learned the dip last week at the swing dance, and worked on it with Michael for a long time. We got pretty good at it, and by the end of the evening, it was my favorite dip. But last night when I did the dip with Noah, ..... I can't really describe it, actually, but I'll try.
He started it by "tripping" me(as he's supposed to), which made me swing around in front of him, and then WOOSH!! I was down almost to the floor in an instant. And then WOOSH again, he flung me back up, and I twirled off almost ten feet to the right. Actually, he wasn't supposed to let go(especially since he dipped me so fast), but luckily for us, I have good balance and was able to make it look as though he had done it on purpose. If I'm good at anything, it's that. I'm a good follower and try to make the guys look good. Anyhow, when I got back to him, we were both laughing pretty hard; he was laughing because I spun off so far, and I was laughing because he dipped me so fast and so low. I had no idea that I was that flexible. It's a rather frightening realization to find that you can bend almost in half backwards, and it doesn't hurt! lol Michael never did that to me so I wasn't expecting it at all.
I think I like it better the way Noah does it. lol
Anyhow, I had a fun time, and I hope we can go again soon. I still have so much to learn!
~
Any problem in the world can be solved by dancing.
-- James Brown
Dance is a little insanity that does us all a lot of good.
-- Edward Demby
NATURAL LAW
If you dance with a grizzly bear, you had better let him lead.
2 comments:
That sounds like *SO* much fun, Faith! I love, love, love swing dancing, we just don't know any guys (apart from my little brothers) who know how to swing dance, lol.
We'll definitely have to swing dance in August. :-)
Cheers, dahling!
Faith!!! I can NOT wait for this summer. We can swing dance at summer academy, we can swing dance in the evenings after Greek In a Week. We can swing dance all summer! I like to say I "know" how to swing dance. I've been to three that our choir had. And they were great fun. So I definetely know the basics and some extra fun stuff that some of the guys who really know what they're doing taught me. Andrew knows the basics too. We'll just have to get him to loosen up a little bit more. =)
I'm so so so so so excited for this summer! Swing dancing heaven, here we come!
Love you!
--Shannon
Post a Comment