Oh my gosh! Where in the world did the time go? Tomorrow is opening night, and it still takes us almost four hours to get through the play! I'm just praying that tonight we'll be able to speed it up and get through it before 10:30.
Last night was our first dress rehearsal and everything was insane! People were running up and down the stairs looking for costumes, Katie and Sharon were trying to keep everyone relaxed, and the orchestra were trying to find their chairs and setting up their lights. Kate was trying to get herself ready in time so that she could help Michael with his makeup. Liz was(as always) calmly and smoothly putting on her own makeup. Daniel was ready a long time before everyone else was. Travis disappeared. And me? Well, I was all over the place trying to find Travis. I had his makeup and needed to get it to him before the play started. Finally, as I was running around in the hallway upstairs, he comes running up the steps with his tux, which he said he'd been searching everywhere for and finally found it backstage. After I gave him his make up, I hurried back to the dressing room and pulled on my nun costume over my party dress and began applying makeup.
You know, I don't think I've worn so much makeup in years. The last time I had so much makeup on was probably in the last(and only other) play I was in when I was six. Anyhow, it's been a while since I had so much makeup on.
Every five minutes Katie would come into the dressing room and tell us how much time we had until places. And finally she said, "Five minutes to places, guys!"
I slipped into my shoes and then left the dressing room. The guys were coming out of their dressing room too, so it was actually pretty cool to see; the girls were in our nun costumes, and the guys were in their tuxes for the party. It was like this mass of black and white shapes descending the stairs. It was so cool. I wished I had my camera with me.
As we hurried down the steps, we talked with the people next to us, laughing at our costumes and saying how glad we were that we didn't have to wear clothes like that now. Everyone seemed to think the nun costumes were hilarious. I guess they do look pretty funny. They probably just thought we looked funny because they know what we usually look like and aren't used to seeing us looking like nuns. :)
The guys looked pretty spiffy, though. Their tuxs are really nice, and it looks really cool when we're waltzing across the stage, with the girls all in their beautiful dresses and the guys all matching in their tuxs. It's pretty cool.
Well, despite the fact that we made a few mistakes, I think things are going pretty well. We just need to learn to change scenes faster, and have everything ready at the right time. I'm SO, SO thankful, though, that they moved the intermission to right after the party scene!! I don't think we would have made the costume change from party clothes into nun clothes. Now we have about fifteen minutes to get ready. *is VERY happy*
Oh, and here's another interesting thing. I am now in charge of all sandbags belonging to stage right, the vase of flowers, *and* I have to make sure that Leisel's clothes are ready for her to change into. The Von Trapp kids have a few of those freak clothes changes, and Sharon put us nuns in charge of making sure that they make that change in time. And I was assigned to Leisel.
This means, however, that I have to be in three places at once. The sandbags need to be going on at the same time that the vase needs to be coming off at the same time as Leisel needs to be getting her uniform on.
And then it happens again later: Leisel has to change into her party dress, and the sand bags and vase all need to come off.
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD THAT IS?! Seriously, I'm finding it a little difficult. ;-) I am SOOO glad that I found someone else to move that table on and off the stage. I was going to be in charge of that too, but I didn't think I could handle four things at once. It's a good thing Katherine didn't have anything else to do and could take charge of that table.
Anyhow, I've almost proved that it's possible to be in three places at once. :-)
Another thing we're still struggling a bit with is the Landler. Travis and I, and Daniel and Liz, and one other couple are doing the Landler behind the windows(look for us when y'all come see the play. We're back there), and we're supposed to be doing the same thing as Maria and the Captain. Although we know the Landler really well, it's actually rather difficult to catch up to the Captain and Maria. Travis and I have to jump in after it's already started, and have to figure out where they are. We kept doing the same part of the dance over and over, last night. It was actually rather amusing, and Travis and I couldn't keep a straight face; we were doing so badly. lol
So we're going a little early tonight to practice the dance. We'll see how that goes.
Well, please pray for us, guys. We still have to get it together in a few places. But, this is going to be one cool play! I really hope that the audience enjoys it. :)
God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment