Saturday, August 27, 2011

On the birth of Monica Eireann Nieuwsma

My dear Monica,

When your cousin Henry was a baby, he was quiet. I don't remember him crying very often at all, and that it was a remarkable thing. Your brother Beowulf was quite the opposite, however. I met him just a few days after he was born, and he bawled a good percentage of when he was awake. Your cousin Sophia was much like her big brother; quiet, wide-eyed, and beautiful.

You are the first of my nephews and nieces whom I haven't met within three days of their birth. I don't know what you're like as a baby. Do you take after your cousins or your brother more? If only I could be there. I'm greatly looking forward to meeting you at Christmas, and though that's much too long for me to wait, I shall do my best to be patient.

Your grandma has been faithful to send the rest of the family pictures of you, and each picture I've seen is more lovely than the first. You look very much like your beautiful mother, though I'm sure you'll have many traits of your father's as well. And what a blessing you are to both of them even now, days old. Oh, if only you knew how anxious they all were in the days leading up to your birth. They couldn't wait to see you. Your mother has been looking forward to having a daughter to dote on, and your father is thrilled to have a daughter to protect and love. And Beo? What fun for him to have a little sister around! He'll grow into a strong yet caring gentleman because he'll have you to look after. You are such a joy to your family already, and I praise and thank God for you, dear niece.

Welcome to God's world, Monica. May you grow in godly grace and beauty, and be a source of unending joy to your parents and a gentle and loving sister to your brother.

All my love,
Aunt Addie

P.S. Christmas can't come soon enough.

No comments: