Friday, May 27, 2011

Summertime vs. The School year

Summer! The 2010-2011 school year is over, and we find ourselves no longer daydreaming about romping in warm sunshine and basking in freedom, but we actually have the ability to do so now! Ah yes, life is good.

But do you know what sometimes annoys me about the end of the school year and the beginning of summer? Its how people blow off the school year. They're done, they'll never see it again. Its over. Well... yeah, but wait! That kind of attitude focuses only on forcing out the hardships of the year rather than taking the time to be thankful for the great things that happened to them and all the things they achieved! There's no way one goes through an entire school year without a single achievement. Everyone has something to be thankful for about that school year, and I think its selfish to ignore that and *not* thank God for His goodness and grace during those months.

Enjoy summer, guys! Love it, bask in it, be thankful for it! But don't live with the attitude that the only good time of year is when we have less responsibilities and challenges. Don't blow off the goodness that He granted you this past school year, and don't dread the coming one as if it were a dark, cold hole. It won't be, I can straight up promise you that right now.

So what did you accomplish this year? Think about it! Be thankful for all the opportunities that God gave you. All the things you learned, friends you made, events you went to, books you read, movies you saw, conversations you had, and places you went? I dare you to tell me you there's nothing you loved about this past school year.

That said, welcome to Summer, guys!

2 comments:

Clayton said...

It's interesting: I actually have been thinking of this past school year along the lines of what you said, but I never actually formulated it quite like this. School isn't a terrible burden (but finals week is ridiculous... :-P )

God has been doing wonders in my life at school. It's not that I can't wait to go back, but I will be eager at the end of the summer when the time comes.

Emily said...

Wonderful post, Addie!