Friday, April 22, 2011

Who Are You?



If you could choose one word to be described as, what would it be? Kind? Gracious? Godly? Brave? Beautiful? Rich? Strong? Joyful? Content? Never mind what word really does describe you. What word would you want to sum up who you really are?

I asked myself this question years ago and found my answer. I kept it a secret as I worked to try to become that word, and occasionally I would check my process by asking a friend what word they would use. After years of prayers and self-control, I one day asked a friend the question and he responded with the exact word I'd been working to become.

Who are you? Do you believe in changing who you are now into someone different? Or do you believe that this is just who you are and you have no choice? Do you buy into that Lady Gaga song and say whenever something pricks you, "I was born this way."

That is a lie. It is a lazy man's excuse to avoid facing himself and admitting that he must control who he is and what he does. You're not born this way. You grow into who you are by the influences around you, your family and your friends, the things you read and watch and listen to. They all play a part in the type of person you become.

So who are you? Are you who want to be? What word would you like to be summed up with?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I am going to think about this..... one word, huh?

Addie said...

That's right. One word. Give it some thought! Its interesting to find what word one chooses to themselves. :)

Practically Quixotic said...

Wow. Thanks for posting this Addie! I'll have to think about that!